Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Quick herb loaf with fresh herbs



This was another request from my husband, given the success of the last two times I have made this.  About a week ago, I wanted to make stuffing to go with a roast chicken. I found this recipe, and have subsequently used this recipe to make a bread lo to go with slow cooker stew for when my in-laws came for dinner before babysitting. I divided the recipe in half, and adjusted the gluten free flour down to avoid that gluten free flour taste, and less flax seed to keep it a bit lighter.


The baking mix I use. I picked it because it has a mix of flours which is generally better in terms of taste and texture (I think), although the rice flour means it's not paleo. It has a small amount of sugar (1.8g per 1/2 cup), so I am looking for a similar product. 



Ingredients
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 tbsp water (or dairy free milk)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil (or butter or coconut)
  • 1/4 cup gluten free baking mix
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tbsp ground flax
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white)
  • Chopped fresh herbs, or dried rosemary and sage
Method

Heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (320 Fahrenheit). Line a 8x8 tray (unless you're using silicone).  Beat eggs til foamy. Add everything else and mix. Bake 30 min, or until a skewer comes out clean. 

Notes

As the flours do not contain gluten, you are unable to overheat this mix, so use your egg beaters if you want. The coconut flour swells up once liquid is added, and it mixes in quickly, so it's easier for me to use a spoon. The baking mix I used had a raising agent, so if you have a gluten free without a raising agent, just add an extra 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. To make it paleo, omit the flax and use 100% coconut flour or tapioca flour, just add the extra raising agent. 

To make stuffing I toasted the bread in cubes, cooked chopped bacon and celery, added lots of chopped herbs, homemade chicken stock. Baked for 30 min. 

No comments:

Post a Comment